Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

My Thoughts on Sorority Recruitment (pulled from my "other blog")

Title: "Recruitment 101"
Entry Date: Sunday, September 2, 2007

Recruitment training began on Saturday morning, to open up a whole new season of Rush. All day Saturday, followed by another full day on Sunday, practicing singing, and conversation, and "trust circles". My enthusiasm for such events is diminishing as time goes by. I love my sisters, I want to spend time with my sisters, I want to have fun with my sisters; but let's face it: 6 hours of sitting on the parlor floor in a room meant for something like 20 people, yet there are 70 squeezed in...it's a bit much. There's only so much energy and so many smiles I can exude in a period of 6 hours.

Rush will eat up my life for the next two weeks, and I already know that I'll look back on it, and feel good, and know I've accomplished something; I'm passing on a legacy, letting others experience what I have found in Delta Gamma. For now, I'm exhausted. I don't care what anyone says, this recruitment stuff is hard work. The saddest part about all of this, is that I'm going to have to do it all over again next year. One more time, I will sit on the floor of the parlor and listen to the same speeches, and participate in the same conversation exercises. I would've thought by now, I could have a somewhat normal, functional conversation with someone I don't know, to sell them an idea. Apparently, I am wrong, according to Greek life. I need more of the same training every year. Maybe if they keep beating that dead horse, it'll spring back to life.

Well, now that it appears I've become little miss Negative Nancy, here's the good stuff:
Every moment I spend with my sisters, I learn new things about them, and realize what an amazing group of women I'm a part of. We are so diverse, there are so many different interests, different talents that translate into achievements for us. It's absolutely phenomenal. Finding out where everyone was this summer, what jobs they held, what research they completed or participated in, has been just incredible. Pre-recruitment is a great time to get back in touch, and get to know sisters better. It's fun, it's hard work, it's enlightening, it's mentally and physically exhausting, but we do it because we care and we want to be the best. What could be more rewarding?

No comments: